“Family literacy is the passing of information from one person to another to help promote a family’s intellectual, social, emotional, spiritual and educational growth.”
-Planting Seeds Brochure, 2008
How Family Literacy Programming Can Help
Family literacy builds on family strenghts, culture and community. Family Literacy Programs:
- Connect family members in building literacy skills such as listening, speaking, reading and writing
- Assist children and families in building literacy skills such as listening, speaking, reading and writing
- Allow parents to share positive parenting skills
- Empower the family
- Raise self-esteem
- Improve family health practices
- Strengthen self-identity and cultural expression
Certificate in “Introduction to Family Literacy” Training
This training provides the foundations of Family Literacy and is open to anyone wanting to facilitate, coordinate, and/or develop family literacy programming. The Introduction is a pre-requisite for many other Family Literacy Programs available in Saskatchewan.
- demonstrate the principles of Family Literacy programming in action;
- introduce participants to Family Literacy and guiding principles;
- introduce participants to components within Family Literacy programs;
- introduce participants to the connection between Family Literacy and Community Development;
- provide information on further training and an overview of Family Literacy within our province.
Length of Training: 6 hours
Targeted Participants: Organizations whose staff, facilitators, coordinators, teachers or parents are interested in learning more about what Family Literacy may offer teir communtiy.
Family literacy programming is a gentle way to help parents look at their own literacy needs.